What An 8 Year Old Taught Me About Closing TechniquesPosted by Phil Sanko on Aug 9, 2012 in Fundamentals, Home Business Blog | 4 comments
Closing techniques – Is there a “secret” to closing the sale? Why is it that some network marketers seem to have impeccable closing techniques and others don’t? Why can’t I seem to close more people???
I just had a conversation with my friends 8 year old daughter, and I wanted to share her sales process and closing techniques.
Yes, she “sold me” into buying her Skittles from the vending machine… not just once. She actually negotiated a deal up-front for future candy purchases.
This girl knows the concept of residual income (or candy…) at age 8????
I was recently talking to my friend’s daughter at his office in downtown Denver, and I couldn’t help but notice how I was 100% sold on buying her a bag of Skittles after only a 2 minute conversation.
I’m not a huge advocate of buying kids candy (I’m kind of a health freak), but her father said it was OK.
Since I was brought up in a “you work for your reward” family, I was inclined to put her to the test.
This is how the conversation went. Notice her closing techniques…
1) She approaches me with a stack of “portraits” she has made of other people in the office and asks for my personal opinion of the drawings.
2) She thanks me for taking the time to look at them and then compliments me on my newly shined shoes. Haha what is it with girls and shoes?
3) She then says, “I’d like to draw a picture of you, is that OK? If it’s really good and you like it, will you buy me some Skittles?”
4) I was unable to deny her request. She then goes on to say, “I get to spend a full day at work with my dad every month. If I give you ALL the portraits I’ve drawn today, would you buy me Skittles every month?” She holds out her hand for a hand shake to seal the deal.
Did you notice this girl’s closing techniques? SOLD.
1) Rapport Builder – She greets me kindly and shows me her current product. She asks for my opinion of the results.
2) Appreciation and Gratitude – She thanks me for taking the time and then compliments me.
3) Permission Marketing and Initial Offer – She asks my permission for her to draw my portrait and offers a potential trade.
4) The Upsell – She notices my quick agreement to the initial trade and uses her already-existing rapport (she already showed me her current products) in order to sell me on future transactions for the work she did once. She then holds out her hand and asks for the sale.
This little girl had better closing techniques than many professionals.
What I Learned From This Girl’s Closing Techniques
This girl’s closing techniques were impeccable. Within just a few minutes of talking with her, she had sold me into buying her not just ONE piece of candy, but REOCCURRING purchases in the future.
Her closing techniques included approaching a cold lead, building immediate rapport, asking for the sale, and then up-selling.
Rather than go into a long spiel about what I think so many network marketers are doing incorrectly, I’m just going to leave you to your own thoughts about this girl’s closing techniques.
Why was she successful?
What closing techniques did she use that can apply to YOUR business?
To A Blessed Future,
Feel free to call me anytime at 303-877-2408.
CLICK HERE to find me on Facebook.
CLICK HERE to find me on Twitter.
CLICK HERE to find me on YouTube.
CLICK HERE to find me on Pinterest.
Incoming search terms:
- closing the deal
- close the deal
- images of kid entrepreneurs